In exploring what SEO is, with a focus on Optimisation for Google; I want to share with you what it is NOT!
This I believe will help you chart your SEO journey wisely.
Here are the Myths
1. A game of link Building: People believe the More the Links the Better…Hell NO! Too often, when businesses hire someone to do link building, they focus on the ‘quantity’ of links rather than their ‘quality’ — but linking is not a numbers game anymore! Invest in content…quality content, that will give google reason not to keep you on the 100th page of the search result!
2. Keywords are Everything…believe this? If you think this is true, hey pal you are still stuck somewhere in 2005! Google has people on its pay-role whose jobs are basically to make sure that pages with poor content don’t get ranked. The algorithms are ‘trained’ continuously to measure web pages in terms of value and Meaning, not just syntax. Work more on making sure that when you Optimise a page for ‘Fast Food’, what is on the page is actually about Fast Food!
3. I just need a Good Ranking! Big Lie…Well, things have changed and ranking is not the supreme end goal that it used to be. Regardless of how you rank, the quality of the rich text/snippets attached to your link matters a lot on whether or not you will get that click.
4. The more the keywords, the better….So you think because you have an online bookstore, loading your website’s keywords tag with all the best selling authors and titles will guarantee your winning….well, that’s another misinformation! Decide that one keyword you want that page to be identified for, and optimise for that keyword. By Optimize I mean, let your Header, description and other tags contain the keyword…and let the content of that page actually be about that keyword! Read through this article, and tell me what keyword it should try to rank for… ‘GOOGLE’ and ‘Keyword’ looking good, don’t they? Google is no longer trying to match the keywords you type into its search engine to the keywords of a web page. Instead, it’s trying to understand the intent behind the keywords you type so it can match that intent to relevant, high-quality content.
5. SEO is a game to fool Google! Well, it is not! You can’t win if you are trying to be witty…In fact, the moment you approach the task with a mindset of outsmarting search engines…well trust me; you won’t win with Google!
6. The more the pages on my website, the better..That’s so NOT true! Those who strive to have lots of pages on their website also tend to overlook the quality of the content on those pages. And search engines prioritise quality over quantity. So spend more time making the few pages you have as valuable as possible! It will make Google trust you more.
On a final note, any Search Engines that gives poor quality results to its users will loose the interest and trust of those users. So serious minded engines do their best to ensure they recommended high-quality websites ONLY! Endeavour to publish what is best and let your content be as useful as possible. If it is useful, your SEO will produce better results!
Read preceding part here